Department of Nursing Services
The Department of Nursing Services is responsible for providing policy direction and guidelines for nursing and midwifery services and education. The Department is also responsible for the provision of nursing and midwifery education and services in order to improve and maintain the standards and quality of nursing and midwifery care. Further, the department enhances leadership and supervision skills of nurse leaders through mentor-ship, capacity building and monitoring of adherence to set standards.
The department performs the following specific functions:
• Formulate and review policies on the provision of nursing and midwifery services and education;
• Develop nursing and midwifery protocols and guidelines for utilization in Nursing and midwifery practice and education;
• Collaborate with General Nursing Council of Zambia (GNC) in the development nursing and midwifery standards of practice and education;
• Coordinate the provision of nursing and midwifery services;
• Collaborate with department for human resources, GNC and other tertiary institutions on the education and training of nurses and midwives;
• Conduct performance assessment of nursing and midwifery services in health facilities and training institutions;
• Monitor the implementation of the relevant nursing policies and standards;
• Provide technical support to nurses and midwives to enhance the management of nursing and midwifery services;
• Provide mentorship to nursing and midwifery leaders in health facilities and nurse and midwifery colleges and;
• Coordination of research in nursing and midwifery standards of care, practice and education.