National Malaria Elimation Centre
It is recommended that the National Malaria Control Centre (NMCC) be renamed as National Malaria Elimination Centre (NMEC) in line with the Ministry’s strategic goal. The Centre is responsible for development and implementation of preventive and curative National Malaria programmes. It also serves as a National referral centre for malaria diagnosis.
The Centre perform the following specific functions:
• Develop, review and implement plans and programmes for malaria case management, vector control and surveillance;
• Develop and implement information, education and communication (IEC) programmes for malaria control and prevention;
• Develop and adopt standard guidelines and protocols for malaria control, prevention and treatment;
• Capacity building of health care practitioners in malaria case management;
• Coordinating malaria operational research activities with emphasis on Drug Policy related issues;
• Collaborating with various stakeholders on the control, prevention and treatment of malaria; and
• Coordinate the conduct of research on malaria and related subject matters.