Department of Public Health
The Department is responsible for developing and implementing programs and projects aimed at preventing, controlling and eliminating diseases in order to promote health and prolong life.
The Department performs the following specific functions:
• Formulate and review Public Health, Port Health, Food and Drugs policies and legislation;
• Development and enforcement of guidelines and standards for public health
• Provide technical support to stakeholders in the provision of public health services;
• Undertake performance assessment and quality assurance/improvement for public health;
• Monitor and evaluate the implementation of city and other public health programmes;
• Conduct public health research and surveys to determine the health status of communities and populations; and
• Undertake disease surveillance and epidemiological patterns in order to assess prevalence and incidence of diseases.